Frequently Asked Questions

How many Boy Scouts are in BSA Troop 1852?
BSA Troop 1852 has 46 registered Boy Scouts and 43 registered adult leaders and Troop Committee members listed on our 2017 roster.

How long has BSA Troop 1852 been around?
We’ve been around since 1974. BSA Troop 1852 was founded over 40 years ago.

Who is the Chartered Organization for BSA Troop 1852?
Southminster Presbyterian Church in Missouri City is our Chartered Organization.

When do you meet?
The weekly Troop meetings are held every Tuesday evening at 7:00 pm. The Patrol Leaders Council (PLC) meets monthly and only youth leaders are required to attend. During summer months, the primary activity is Summer Camp and High-Adventure Camp.

Where do you meet?
Weekly Troop meetings are held at Southminster Presbyterian Church in the Fellowship Hall.

How long does a troop meeting last?
A Troop meeting lasts approximately 1.5 hours depending on the agenda.

Is this a boy-led Troop?
A common question. We think BSA Troop 1852 is a boy-led unit. The Senior Patrol Leader plans and presides over Troop meetings. The Troop plans outings and activities on an annual basis. Many aspects of our program are shaped and determined by the Boy Scouts. See our Program page for more information.

If we decide to join, when can we start coming to meetings?
You and your son can join upon eligibility defined by BSA National Council: if you’re a boy age 11, or at least 10 and have completed the fifth grade, or have earned the Cub Scouts Arrow of Light Award. The Arrow of Light advancement should be recorded in the Council’s advancement database by your Cub Scout Pack Committee Advancement Chair. After that, simply complete submit your son’s BSA application to the Troop. Once the application has been signed by our Scoutmaster, and is in-transit to the Council, you will be considered an active member of the Troop.

How much is membership?
Membership dues vary from Troop-to-Troop. We collect dues annually in the Fall around October. For 2017-2018, our cost is $125 per Boy Scout. We offer a discount to families with multiple Scouts within the Troop. Each additional Boy Scout per family is $105.

Do we pay this amount when we join?
Not necessarily. Your dues will be prorated based on the start time of membership with our Troop.

Do you require parents to register as leaders or committee members of the Troop?
No, it is not required, but encouraged. As incentive, we pay for the registration fees for adults. We only ask that if you decide to register, please be active in your role. See our Adult roles within the Troop page for more information.

What is the role of parents or adults in the Troop?
Assistant Scoutmasters, Troop Committee, Merit Badge Counselors. See our Adult roles within the Troop page for more information.

What do you have to do to become an adult leader or Troop Committee member?
Ask about positions needed. Complete a BSA application. Complete YPT (Youth Protection Training). Complete and turn-in a BSA application and YPT certificate. Take additional required BSA training in a timely manner.

Do you have a First Class Emphasis Program?
YES! We have implemented a formal First Class Emphasis (FCE) program. An Assistant Scoutmaster dedicated to this specific program works through the Senior Patrol Leader, Troop Guides, and Instructors to facilitate a program on a monthly basis to help our younger Scouts move forward the First Class rank. The goal is to let the older Scouts teach, guide, and mentor the younger boys to be efficient with basic Scouting skills for the first 18-months within the Troop. We believe that active members of the Troop, Boy Scouts who regularly attend Troop meetings, participate in campouts regularly and go to summer camp at least once can easily complete requirements toward First Class rank within that timeframe.

How often does the Troop camp?
We camp almost every month. There are typically nine “regular” weekend campouts September through May. A Troop Lock-in (overnight at the church) at the end of the school year serves as our Annual Program Planning meeting. See our Outdoor Program page for more information.

What do you do on campouts?
Work on requirements, of course. But besides that, each campout has a primary activity associated with the outing. Most important of all, the Scouts decide on these activities by working together and voting to determine what they want to do as a group each year! See our Outdoor Program page for more information.

Does the Troop attend a summer camp?
Yes. We try to accommodate two camp options every year: residential camp (focusing on advancement and merit badges) and high-adventure (geared for the older Boy Scouts). See our Outdoor Program page for more information.

Is summer camp or high-adventure camp expensive?
It can seem to be expensive, especially if you compare summer camp to the cost of a weekend campout. However, it is typically a good value. It also depends on the venue. The destination and camp is determined several months prior. And, all attendees are required to sign a commitment letter. Once the letter has been signed and turned-in, the Troop Treasurer will formulate a payment plan based on payment deadlines to the venue and months until the event. Your Scout account will be debited on a monthly basis leading up to the event. Again, Accounts are expected to be reconciled promptly if a balance becomes negative.

Can parents attend campouts?
Yes. BSA Medical forms, signed Hold Harmless and Code of Conduct agreements, and YPT certification are required.

Even moms?

Can siblings attend campouts?
No. Unless they’re Boy Scouts (not Cub Scouts) or the Troop has a Family Camping outing. See the Guide to Safe Scouting on Camping.

How does my son earn merit badges?
Summer Camp is a very good opportunity to earn several merit badges. We encourage all of our new Scouts to attend summer camp at least once during the first two years of membership. The Troop has offered various merit badges during the program year including: Personal Fitness (Eagle required), Communication (Eagle required), Climbing, Camping (Eagle required), Hiking (Eagle required). Also, there are many museums that offer merit badges courses for a fee. Many of our Boy Scouts take advantage of those programs. We have many registered Merit Badge Counselors affiliated with our Troop. Click here to see a listing of merit badges offered by Troop-affiliated Merit Badge Counselors.

Court of Honor (award ceremonies)
The Troop conducts Courts of Honor semi-annually: Once in the Fall and once in the Spring.

Only twice a year? Does my son have to wait until Court of Honor to receive his rank badge?
No. A rank badge is not a symbol for what a Scout has done. It is a symbol for what he is capable of doing. As soon as a Boy Scout has earned his next level of rank, he is presented with the rank badge at the next possible opportunity. The exception is rank of Eagle Scout.

What about service? How does BSA Troop 1852 serve the community?
Troop service projects have included provided support within the community for events such as:

Does the Troop also serve the Scouting community?
The Troop strives to be active within the Thunder Wolf District to promote and endorse the Scouting program on a larger scale. We participate in Council-wide and District-based programs such as:

How many Eagle Scouts have come from BSA Troop 1852?
BSA Troop 1852 is not an Eagle Factory. We like to call ourselves a Scout Factory. We have awarded 85 Eagle Scouts to date.